Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A simple leather purse goes native...print that is ;)

I have to say I've been loving the native/tribal prints mixed with leather bags/purses, etc., I've been seeing on Pinterest and on Etsy. I'd love to drop a couple hundred (or more in some cases) on one of these beauties...no wait, I wouldn't ;) Call me cheap if you must, but I don't have the resources to keep up with my desire for a varied wardrobe and accessories and say eating...unless I make my own high end remakes like this one!!! I found this simple leather bag at my local thrift store several months ago, and loved it as is, but was inspired to make this simple but impactful update. Enter an Ecuadorian made bag I bought in Puerto Rico a few years ago visiting family...

You know those mass produced ones they sell to tourists? Hehe, already cut out...
I traced out the shape of the purse on the bag and simply cut it out!
Pinned to fit on either side of purse...
And sewed up the edge, trimming off any excess fabric.
 Now, after sewing up the "pocket" for each side of the purse, I was planning on using some heavy duty fabric glue to attach them, but in the end I decided to simply hot glue them on :) It worked like charm! Here's the outcome...
I hot glued along the curved edge and left the top open to slip small, light items in when needed.
On this side I turned the fabric backwards to get a different color pattern.

Love it! I took a thrifted leather purse and a bag I no longer used and created an updated piece that is one of a kind, still on trend, and something that will remain with me for years to come! Now, back to clearing out my closet as I refashion some new spring pieces to add to my wardrobe :) Hope you enjoy this and draw some inspiration to do an accessory refashion of your own!
Peace
Andrea

LittleDidYouKnow

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet bag! WANT!!

Mikelina said...

And I'm off to the thrift store to find a leather bag...

Andrea said...

@ Rachel, I know, RIGHT!!! I've been drooling over bags and purses like this and then realized I had what I needed to make my own :) @Mikelina, good luck! Hope you find the perfect bag to transform :) I want to do this with some vintage floral fabric as well...and maybe a cool geometric print... Anywho, thanks for your positive response :)