Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hat from pants

I am participating in the Me-Made-May 2013, and last Friday's theme was hat. I took the opportunity to finally make myself one!

Enter this old (probably 6-7 years old) linen blend pair of pants/trousers. I've chopped a portion off it initially when up-sizing (in my book that is another version of refashioning) its matching jacket.


Perfect fabric for a spring/summer hat in my opinion.

Using the pattern Vogue V8844 I have in stash, and choosing View A I got to work.
(with contrast fabric that came off one of my previous skirt project. It was too long, so I chopped off a lot off the hem, and these portion plus scraps were used towards the contrast of the hat).

There were some piecing that might be required when using scraps/leftovers/not big enough piece of fabric. But as long as you make sure to ascertain they are of the same grain, it will be okay. I was not that particular re grains for projects such as hats, but when upsizing/refashioning garments, it is highly advisable to make sure the grains are on point. :)

Being a slow worker that I am, it took me a night and morning to complete it. Somewhere around that. :)


If you are interested to see more of my refashion projects, do visit my Mission: Refashion page on my blog.

Happy refashioning! :)
Far

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow I have never made a hat before (well I have with knitting, but still). Amazing! And I guess trousers fabric is perfect.

Eddie, EOD

Eddie's Room on Facebook come over for some crafty ideas and conversation. :-)

Cucicucicoo said...

Love the hat! I have trousers that would be perfect hat material now that you mention it... :) lisa