Wednesday, May 01, 2013

"Modestifying" a see-through dress

Hello all,

I'm on a roll here with some of the old projects that I'm finally finishing up...I wouldn't label this next one as a refashion, necessarily, just making an old thrifting score wearable. I bought this dress several years ago...when I still lived in my home state of Michigan. The only problems? It was slightly big in the chest and a mite see-through. I quickly nipped in the sides of the top, fixing the chest issue, but the see-throughness of it all was never addressed in all of these years. Which means, the dress has been sitting in a stack of clothes for way too long. It's time to fix this! Now, I could wear a slip underneath, throw a cardi over top and call it a day, but the slip would keep peaking over the top and if I ever got warm, it would be bra-strap/slip-strap/halter-strap hell!
See through dress and see through slip...not good, right?
This is a hot mess just waiting to happen...main reason its been sitting in a stack a old clothes FOREVER!
 Now, the fix on this is simple enough, however, it's not one of those super inspiring transformations, which is why it has sat at the bottom of the pile for so long. I picked up the slip just recently in one of my thrifting excursions, and though both pieces are see-through, together they are just right. So, I started by snipping off those pesky slip straps.
Next, I sewed the slip to the dress along the top neckline until about 2-3 inches before reaching the back zipper of the dress.

I enlarged this photo so that you could see better where I stopped stitching the slip and dress together...the slip has a little stretch along the top edge, while the dress does not; this allows me to still be able to slip this on over my head, and zipping it up covers the remainder of the slip!
And here is how it looks now :) I will definitely be throwing a belt on with this...green, yellow, or red will look nice, I think. And again, the cardi for when its cool!
Oh, and of course, a strapless bra ;) A little tan wouldn't hurt either, right?
A bit dark here, need to get a full-length mirror in a room with better light ;)
Hope you don't condemn me for not posting a true refashion...but I am still giving use to a garment that was once unwearable, and loving the outcome :) Happy Refashioning All!
Peace
Andrea

5 comments:

Sandy said...

looks like a refashion to me. 2 unwearables made wearable?
looks good.
Sandy in the UK

Unknown said...

Looks like a refashion to me, too. Very good idea.

Far said...

No Condemnation Is Necessary.. :) Its A Dress remake Succes For You, A Project totally At Home here On Refashion Coop!
xxxFar

DressUpNotDown said...

Practical refashions are the ones that seem to get the most use! You look so pretty in your "new" dress :o)

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love this dress - I think it looks fantastic. And certainly a refashion!