Friday, May 17, 2013

Upcycled Bikini / Holiday Top

So, i'm off on holiday (a week in Lanzarote) in a few weeks and summery clothes have been on my mind :) This started as a cutoff from another project - i'd used the bottom part of this top to make another top, and had this bit left over. You can't really see on the picture but there's some of the back of the top left there too.
IMG_1055
I couldn't bear to throw away any of this lovely tropical print fabric, and it was conveniently lined so there was quite a lot of fabric there to work with! Essentially i cut it all apart and removed the straps (not a fan of cental straps on a halterneck!), and used one of the (luckily very long) straps to make 2 new straps. From the scraps of the back i extended each piece so they'd come a bit further around the sides, and made some little loops - pinned and sewed and finally used the remaining original strap as a cord to lace up the back.

End product: bright tropical summer top - perfect for holiday times!

IMG_1067 IMG_1068

More details, as usual, on my blog.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Great use of the leftovers!!! Such a cute top to be paired with a million possible bottoms :) Also, wish I had your body!!! Haha, I'm working on mine though...so I'll stick to that ;) Great job.

Anonymous said...

I love the lace up detail in the back! :) I've kept a lot of my old swimsuits (even though they don't fit). My boobs (and the rest of me) are bigger than they used to be! (having 3 kids will do that to ya!) ;)
You've inspired me to look into refashioning them.
:)
~Jen

Unknown said...

That is gorgeous! Looks so good on you

Erica, Editor on Duty