Friday, June 07, 2013

Dandy onesie

I love making things for babies, but I have always had an easier time with presents for girls. My cousin is expected a boy, though, so I was excited to get some Pinterest inspiration on onesies for boys. I saw a super cute one with a vest and a bowtie from Etsy, and I shameless stole the idea. Here’s how I did it.

I started by drafting a vest pattern based on the onesie I had.



(It turns out that this pattern did not allow for enough overlap for working buttons on the vest. So, if you try this at home, make the inside edge overlap the center of the onesie a bit more than mine did.) I used the pattern to cut out two gray front pieces and two black backing pieces. I lined up the fronts and the backs, wrong sides together, and stitched around all edges but the side seams. I turned the vest pieces right side out at the side seams and pressed them.


I laid the pieces out on the onesie, wrong side up, with a bit of the side edges overlapping the front of the onesie, pinned them in places, and stitched them down.


When I folded the vest back over into the middle and ironed it down, these stitched were hidden. Then I sewed down the tops of the vest under the spot where the onesie back piece overlaps the front piece at the shoulders.


At this point, I realized that the vest didn’t overlap enough for the buttons, so I sewed decorative buttons on the front. I put snaps on the inside, rather than stitching the vest shut, to help get the outfit on over a round baby belly. I used some scraps to make the bowtie.


Finally, I handsewed that bowtie on nice and tight, and I was finished. All ready for a dandy dude!


Thanks for reading!
-Amy

7 comments:

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

Oh my gosh, that is adorable! My little guy is growing out of his onesies, but I think he'll be getting a shirt like this soon! :) Lisa

Sandy said...

very cute!
Sandy in the UK

Carissa said...

This may possibly be the most adorable thing ever.

Anonymous said...

It IS the most adorable thing ever!

Unknown said...

So, so cute, I love it

Erica, Editor on Duty

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Lovely transformation of a plain white onesie.

ETHEEA said...

when baby commeth , this I shall maketh . Great idea!