Sunday, August 11, 2013

You have to have a vision...

I've said it to my husband a hundred times...you have to be able to see past the ugly/shoulder pads/shape/size/etc. It is gratifying when he makes a face at some of the things I bring home from the thrift store, and then is totally impressed by what I can turn it in to. That's what is so cool about what we do here, and I'm absolutely addicted :) I brought home this lovely number a few weeks back not exactly sure what I'd end up doing with it.





















It is silk...always a hook for me, and the pattern was pretty good...but it was so dated and the bows just did not work for me. I wasn't sure at first if I would get rid of the sleeves altogether, but no matter what they need to be removed in order to resize the whole piece. So, I got to it!


These bits of stiff fabric acted as the "poof" in the sleeves, which I also removed. I then put the jacket on inside out and backwards and pinned along each side marking where I'd need to take it in.


Now, this is hard to do on your own body, so as always, I had to adjust the pins slightly once I'd taken it off ;) I ran each side through my sewing machine, tried it back on, then made slight adjustments to each side running it back through my machine. I just used a basic straight stitch.





















My final step was to hem the armholes, as by that point I'd decided to leave it sleeveless. Turned backward, the bows became the perfect finish to my new top! I love how it nips in at the waist and flares out at the bottom as well as the high neckline which makes the perfect backdrop to a statement necklace :) First I styled it for date night, and next more casually for lunch with a friend or a froyo date with my son!






Not to worry about any waste on this project! I left the excess side fabric intact inside the top as it doesn't add any bulk and I've already plans for the sleeves!!! Can't wait to finish up with those :) :) :) Hope you enjoyed this one...I truly love the bright blue with the bright green pants (which are brighter than they appear) and the bows!!! I'm not normally big on bows, but they are just too sweet down the back. If I do say so myself ;) Anywho, love love love all the projects I've been seeing lately on here and am so excited to continue to be a part of this amazing, talented group of refashioners!

Peace,
Andrea

LittleDidYouKnow

6 comments:

Refashion said...

The top looks fantastic! I think you have a very good eye to see the potential in that jacket!
Debbie
EOD

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job! Looks so great! I find it's easier to look past the hideous designs once you've spotted the 100% wool, silk etc tag! I bet you could make a cute headband/scarf with the sleeves if you wanted!

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Totally adorable and very cute result.

Sucre said...

This shirt is very stylish. you are truly a talented seamstress!

Andrea said...

Thanks for the positive feedback :) I REALLY like this one!

Unknown said...

Amazing job!

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus