Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Farewell to Summer Dress

In August 2012 I rescued a pleated floral polyester dress from a fate worse than death. I was about to checkout at Goodwill when I saw this little lady on the rolling rack of clothes that were being pulled from the floor and taken to the back room. From there, I assumed, it would be packed up and shipped to either a pay-by-the-pound Goodwill or sent to a shredder. Obviously, I couldn't let that happen.

I really liked the pretty floral print and the pleated skirt. I didn't like the weird pleaty bib thing on the top. It's been a little over one year, and my feelings haven't changed.

before copyFrom meh to meh.

Last week I needed something to wear to an outdoor event for work. Sure, I could have just done my laundry and picked something from my existing wardrobe, but what's the fun in that? I pulled this bibbed baby out of my "to do" pile and got to work on my last summer dress of the year.

I unpicked the seams around the sleeves, and then carefully cut off the weird bib, making sure I didn't snip the edging around the neck. Then all I had to do was finish around the arms.

1Snip, pick, sew.

It was a pretty quick refashion. Possibly even faster than actually doing the laundry, so I guess I made the right decision after all. Even though it was a hot, hot day, I felt pretty cool in my rescued dress.

Pinky gray floral dress - September 2013 copyI just love this print.

I even made sure to get in some crocheting done in my down time.

fall scarf copyGearing up for fall.

I wore this dress to work again today, but this time I had to add a sweater. In the past few days the temperature has dropped from the mid to upper 90s to the low 60s. Not that I'm complaining.

This may be my last summer dress for 2013, but there's plenty to look forward to in the coming months. Don't forget to check back this Saturday for my first installment of my new fall refashioning series - My Favorite Art Museum (aka MFAM) - where I'll be remaking items based on some of my favorite pieces from the collection of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.

MFAM header copyComing this fall...

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus
Now blogging at www.TheHungryOctopus.com!

1 comment:

Adele said...

Wow. That has made an absolutely massive difference. I love the new dress!

Adele - EOD