Saturday, September 28, 2013

MFAM Week 2: Walk Like an Egyptian

MFAM header copy

Week two of the My Favorite Art Museum series is here, and it's time to revisit everybody's favorite period in history - ancient Egypt. Admit it, it was one of your favorite subjects growing up. With the hidden treasure, mummies, and mystery, how could it not be?

This week's project comes in the form of a $1 skirt (that's so tight I can't even zip it up) and a $4 pair of pants that are made for a woman with hips far more impressive than mine. I found the Egyptian print skirt a few months ago, and it is actually the inspiration for the MFAM series.

before 3 copyLet's get this party started!

Between the too-tight skirt and the too-loose pants, it was pretty hard to rock out to The Bangles. Obviously, something had to be done. 

I started with the skirt. The cut wasn't really my style, so I decided to turn it into an infinity scarf. To do this I removed the zipper and unpicked the long seam down the back.

1Seams ripped!

Then I deconstructed and reconstructed the skirt panels, adding a panel of black cotton fabric to one end of the Egyptian print fabric to make it long enough, and finished the scarf-making.

5Finishing up.

Then I took in the pants.

pants copyTaking them in.

To complete the look, I skipped accessories and stuck to the basics instead - a black t-shirt and sandals.


This week's refashion was fairly simple (and had decidedly fewer mess ups) compared to last week's Old West refashion.

For a complete rundown on this refashion - including the full how-to for making the scarf, skinnying up the pants, information about the artifacts that inspired this project, and my brief encounter with an Egyptian noblewoman - check out the post on my blog.

Don’t forget to tune in next week for the next MFAM installment, and remember, please don’t touch the art.

- Elizabeth
aka 
The Hungry Octopus
Now blogging at www.TheHungryOctopus.com!

1 comment:

Refashion said...

I like the infinity scarf - very lovely

Debbie
EOD