Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sick day scrap busting

My 4 year old was home from school yesterday with a nasty cold (and is home again today), so we spent a pretty chill day cuddled up on the couch playing board games, snacking, and watching cartoons. Well, a day of that made me a little antsy to be doing something with myself so I thought I'd work on a couple of my Pinterest inspired projects that have been hanging out on my "Things to Try" board. When thrifting I keep an eye out for odd bits of leather, faux leather, etc and my local shop never fails to provide great scraps. I pulled out a pile of such scraps along with a couple of pieces I'd bought on ebay a couple of years back. I started cutting, sewing and zipping up the first piece before I took a "before" pic, but here is what I ended up with! A wristlet, made of a super soft, vintage floral printed piece of leather. It was similar in size to the faux piece underneath it in this first pic. Now, I notice that it is a bit asymmetrical, but I did actually fix that after taking this pic and simply didn't take another. I'm showing a closer picture of the zipper because I am pretty proud of that little bit there ;) It came out so clean...love working with leather like this!


These next projects were made using the camel colored leather, the copper colored faux leather (those scallop shaped pieces will be used in something I'm working on later this week) and the brown pieces of leather. The real leather pieces were thrifted and appeared to be samples for furniture/upholstery!


I'll be sewing that leather thong onto the bracelet and attaching a snap for closure. The necklace above was my first attempt with the leaf shaped pieces I'd cut, but I didn't love it and need a softer, more flexible leather for something like that, so I took it apart and made these earrings and this much simpler necklace(still not thrilled with it). I simply went through my stash of odds and ends for the piece on the bracelet, the necklace chain and the earring attachments (do not know the correct terminology). It may seem silly to hold on to bits and pieces from broken jewelry and whatnot but I love how it allows creativity when the making begins.



With another day home today, who knows what I'll be inspired to work on, but hopefully I'll be moving a few more things over to my "Things I've Tried" board!

Peace,
Andrea

LittleDidYouKnow

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Love the necklaces and the 'buckle' idea for the strap.
Sandy

Adele said...

Some very cute refashions. Thanks for sharing :)

Adele - EOD

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Cool jewellery. I like the combination of the brown and the gold.