Sunday, September 22, 2013

SKIRT REFASHION: Hanging on to a good buy

RILEY PREVENTED ME FROM WORKING ON A SKIRT REFASHION
MY CAT, RILEY, PREVENTING ME FROM WORKING ON A REFASHION

I’ve had this green skirt forever, paying a measly $4 from the clearance rack at Christopher and Banks. I couldn’t believe my luck with the find. One, the skirt was a perfect fit for me even if the length was a little longer than what I normally wear. Two, the fabric was not flimsy but not super heavy. The fabric gave the skirt nice structure. Three, I liked the color green even though I wasn’t quite sure what I could match with a dark olive green. Over the years, I basically paired with the skirt with anything black.

NICKNAME: DARBY AUGUST
THE SKIRT WITHOUT A CAT

I think the skirt is still in good shape, but unfortunately, the fit is no longer perfect. Boo. Hiss. But I do believe this skirt can be saved with a little bit of creativity, a pair of scissors, and elastic. Because the skirt is slightly longer than normal for me, I can simply cut off the waist area that includes the zipper and add an elastic waistband to the top. Out of the three methods I know, I chose to simply add a 2-inch elastic waistband instead of running a drawstring through a casing or hiding a smaller size elastic in a casing.
YAY!
YAY! I CAN WEAR THE SKIRT AGAIN!

And the completion of the skirt is ready for the cooler weather! I have a personal fashion rule: don’t wear tights in the summer (nylons are an exception when attending a fancy event when I don’t feel like shaving or showing off my weird little legs). But now that August is over, I am more than happy to add tights to any skirt even when the sun is brightly shining. It’s September, and my personal fashion rule states I can wear tights between September and April – maybe May, depending on the weather.

For more details about me, my blog, and this post, click here.

Jennifer Elliott

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Always pleasing to make a garment fit again, isn't it?

Jennifer Elliott said...

Yes! Love that I can step into the skirt again!

Refashion said...

What a great way to extend the life ofa favourite skirt. Thanks for sharing

Debbie EOD