Saturday, October 05, 2013

A Spiffy New Vest

So, a while back while visiting Maine, we visited a few thrift stores in Portland. Very pricey, but I saw a vest on a mannequin- reversible, with a spiffy inside fabric and the outer was purple corduroy. It stayed in my mind forever! (I like vests!)

Upon returning home I visited my box of old linens. I bought it at a local thrift store for $5. A TV box full of sheets and tablecloths that was being thrown away. A travesty! One tablecloth in particular had been marked for a special project, and I went for it now, along with an old pair of stretch denim jeans.

I cut all the edgings and waistlines off the jeans and drew up a make-shift pattern on newspaper (I used a shirt that fit well and added some large seam allowance). 

I am quite new to the whole drafting thing, and sorta made it up as I went along, but I got some decent-looking pieces out if it and got crackin'. 



Then I realized my pattern was flawed- I hadn't left any length in the shoulder region to allow my arms to actually fit and have the vest lay well. So, I noticed the black bits of the pattern on the linen tablecloth and pulled some wide black elastic from my stash. (It came from an atrocious Miley Max dress that was given to me) I then added it to the should and underarm bit where one would normally sew the whole thing together. I think it adds a bit if pep- and it certainly helps the fit! Here are some shots of the finished product- a spiffy, reversible, completely up-cycled/ salvaged vest! I'm rather fond of it :) 

Thanks for reading, and the friendly extension! 
Sustainabot






6 comments:

Dk's Wife said...

It is a great looking vest!

Zom said...

It is a cute shape for a vest. Good on you that you kept going.

AliceSAysNo said...

Very cute!

Refashion said...

What a sweet vest, I love the shape of it.

Debbie EOD

Unknown said...

Thank you for the support! I'm just giddy knowing you all like it :)

Huli said...

Oh my goodness Julie I LOVE it! awesome work xx