Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Utility Garter

For my friend’s wedding, the other attendants and I settled on a cute, one-shoulder, chiffon dress. It looked good on everyone, which is excellent and pretty rare when putting five different ladies in the same outfit.

I have type 1 diabetes and although my insulin pump is tubeless, I needed to have the receiver for my continuous glucose monitor with me a the dress didn't have pockets so I needed another way to carry it down the aisle with me.

I started with a nude thigh-high stocking:
I cut off the stocking, fashioned a pocket, stitched it on and carried my gear with me all day and night.
The step-by-step of how I made it is available on my blog.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

This is a very useful idea. I am going to pass it on to a 'sewing bridal' list for helping other people I know who may run across the same problem.
Sandy in the UK

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! Don't know how many times I've stuffed things down my bra for want of a better place!

Refashion said...

What a clever solution!
Thanks for sharing
Debbie EOD

Anonymous said...

Very clever solution! Love it!

Diane Maxwell said...

Wow, thanks for posting this Rachel. Did you feel like it was slipping down your leg at all? I bought a 'holster' thing that was stretchy and had a pocket for my pump, but after I'd worn it for a while I couldn't get it to stay put. I had considered buying thigh highs, but wasn't sure they'd stay in place - and I'm just trying to support a pump with tubing. So usually I just don't wear dresses.

Unknown said...

Hi Diane, I never felt like it was slipping down my leg and I wore some pretty challenging shoes and danced a lot! I just had a Dexcom receiver and tube of glucose tabs in the pocket so it wasn't terribly heavy.

The garter top was very tight on my leg, had rubber grips and was wider than the typical stretchy pocket things. I'm not sure how it'd work with a tubed pump, but if you try it let me know how it goes! I know people who clip their pumps to their bras or spanx as well.