Friday, October 04, 2013

One Pattern Many Looks Part 2 Of ?


Hi Everyone!

.

Today we have part 2 of one pattern many looks. I found this awful chiffon dress at the thrift shop for $7.99. It was a size 3x so I had plenty of fabric to work with. It was so big that I had to take the before picture by taking the top first...

.
IMG_2800
.

...and then the bottom.

.

IMG_2801Otherwise you can't see all of the details which I lovingly have dubbed, "Olive Oyle on Sterioids."

.

images
.

Seriously, can't you see Popeye's girlfriend wearing this with a little pillbox hat that has a flower sticking out of it? Ha! Ha! Nevertheless, I did fall in love with the good parts of this dress, like the border print, (go figure) and all of the pleating on the upper bodice and sleeves.

.
2013-09-22 15.21.06
Here is how is all turned out in the end using the exact same pattern as I started with in part 1 of this series.
.

Now for the tutorial on how it all happened:

.

1) Cut out the front and back. I did this by lining up the pattern on the border print at the bottom and the pleats across the yoke. I absolutely did not use any of the Olive Oyl details. LOL! Notice in the picture how I lined up the center lines on the flat part of the fabric while I let the pleated part of the yoke lie naturally.

.
IMG_2810

2) After sewing the side seams and shoulder seams, I took the original sleeves (already picked from the original) and fit them in the new armhole. I ended up slimming down the original sleeves about 2 inches. In this picture the sleeves are in and the neck is turned and edgestitched. You can also see the pleating in the yoke and sleeves.

.
2013-09-22 16.45.16
 
.
2013-09-22 16.45.00
.

Here it is up close. I think it has a totally different look from the first blouse just by virtue of the print and the pleating. I feel really pretty wearing it. What do you think? I feel part 2 took it up a notch but I can't wait to show you part 3 and 4 already in the works! Let me know what you think and stay tuned...

.

'Til Later...

Love

Mary

9 comments:

irinka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
irinka said...

Much better. Beautiful ending result

Andrea said...

Really like this pattern you drafted...it seems to be the perfect style of top! May have to draft one for myself ;) Oh, and I do so love how this turned out!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love this! So much better as a top and I love the pattern too! Great job! :)

Kazza said...

Glad you are sharing your tutorials to a wider audience Mary because what you do is inspirational. A lovely re-fashion. From Karen at Facebook group Melton Bowerbirds.

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Great result. Very pretty and fresh.

Unknown said...

Thanks all for the great comments. Just figured out how to use the Re-Fashion Co-op. (I am a techknownothing). I love this way to reach out to others in the refashion community!!!

Refashion said...

The top looks great, I love the use of the border print. And thank you for including a detailed tutorial. :)

Debbie EOD