Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Luxe sweatshirt

I have been inspired lately by all the fancy sweatshirts out there. Who wouldn't want a mix of comfort and chic style? Plus, they seemed really easy to make. I went out and bought a sky blue IZOD sweatshirt for a couple of bucks at the thrift store. I had some matching blue lace at home that I got from the remnant bin at Joann Fabrics.

I took all sorts of lovely photos of my process in creating this sweatshirt, but I can't get them right now due to technical difficulties. It is easy enough to imagine, though. I snipped out the front panel - removing the giant IZOD logo - inside the side seams, below the neckband, and above the waistband. I used this piece as a guideline to cut out my lace piece, cutting about 2 inches around the sweatshirt fabric. I pinned it in place on the inside of the sweatshirt and stitched it along the existing seam lines. Here's how it turned out.

And a close-up...

I love the contrast with a crisp white shirt, but I am also looking forward to styling it in other ways. It is comfy and pretty warm still but much more stylish.

Thanks for reading!       -Amy


thewardrobesurgeon said...

This is cute! A white singlet would also show off that lace detail.

April Rogers-Krick said...

So cute. Ok I am making this for my neices for Christmas. I love how elegent a simple sweatshirt can become with lace.
April, aka Craftymomma

Refashion said...

The combination of lace and sweatshirt looks lovely. Great inspiration :)

Debbie EOD