Friday, November 15, 2013

Spring Dress in Fall

It's only my second time posting here on Refashion Co-op, so let me take a moment to re-acquaint. I'm a beginner refashioner with no sewing machine! (I occasionally use my parents') I like to use vintage items of clothing (usually dresses) and give them small updates, usually staying true to the vintage look. My blog, Craft, Thrift, or Die is a tongue in cheek way to share my DIY attempts as well as cope with depression and anxiety. Anyway, for this project, I started with sheer pink flowery dress with poofy sleeves.

 Like my last post, this dress was also $0.50, which should explain why I purchased it in the first place. It's got a lot of strikes against it: it's pink (I just don't like wearing pink); and the combination of the really high neckline, pouffy sleeves, and long length remind me of...I don't know, something from a polygamist cult?

I'm exaggerating. Normally, when I'm refashioning an item, the sleeves are the first things to go. Making sleeves smaller is too damn advanced for me. I wanted to keep some sleeve and just make them less ginormous. This dress actually had mini shoulder pad-type things for extra sleeve height. 

my attempt to make the sleeve more fitting
After removing a lot of additional fluff from inside the garment, I pinned the top of the sleeves. They still looked weird. I decided I should move on to the neckline and return to the problem area after the easy part. 
 I tried it on, and marked the spot where I would cut the bottom of a v neck. I measured and marked, but I wasn't all that careful. I planned on adding some kind of fancy collar, so the neckline was allowed to look bad.
I tried pinning the sleeves a few more times, eventually cutting and sewing, and lets just say that somewhere a mistake was made. Fine. I hacked them off. After removing the sleeves, I pinned down the edges, and due to a sewing machine malfunction, I ended up hand-stitching as I watched TV. 


 With the hastily sewn v neck done, I considered my options for embellishing it. I had this black collar that I removed from another shirt in my scrap pile. After pinning it, it seemed to heavy and didn't work with the lightweight dress. I thought maybe just a small lace collar would work. I had lace ribbon, but since I wanted something thin, I scavenged lace from somewhere else.

I pinned the lace down, ans used a little fabric glue on the other side.
That's underwear. You see, despite being a petite gal, I've got a big ass. This one time, I bought some medium underwear and when I got home I realized that I ended up with small instead--that detail is not important, all you need to know is that I had a pair of new black panties with a lace trim that I used to make a collar. 
After completing it, I took a few pics, satisfied with the result. Here's what it looked like:

 Nice; but for whatever reason, it stayed folded up on that chair that every disorganized grown up has in their room for which to pile clothes. Then, a few weeks later, I had some inspiration


That's one sweet, little dress that I couldn't replicate in a million years. But, I could throw a little sash around the neckline of my cheap dress. I didn't have much excess material from my dress, since the only thing I cut off was the sleeves and a little triangle. What I did have was a handful of those long. thin, belt/scarf things that I always find at thrift stores. I decided to use a black one. 

I pinned the sash on the shoulders and then in the front on both sides of the v neck. I let it hang just a bit in the back. I hand stitched it in place, only where the pins are. Just in case I changed my mind again, I didn't want it to be attached to securely. Here's the result, take two: 

The sash may have been a little short or thick, because getting a proper bow was tough. I kinda liked it just hanging there, though.
I obviously used photo editing magic to get this picture to look cool. I should also mention that even though the color and floral print say "spring/summer," it's sheer fabric require it to be layered over some kind of slip. When the weather is warm, I like to stick to one layer, especially since I work in a school and they don't air condition us. So, I guess this dress works for fall because I love layering stuff in the cool weather.



9 comments:

Unknown said...

omg! So cute!!! I am a contributor, and new also! I seriously love everything about this dress. You did an awesome awesome awesome job!!

Erica Moody said...

Thank you so much! I look forward to checking out your posts!

Annas Salons said...

Really great, Your dress! What a change! Congratulations!
Anna

Sandy said...

Amazing what the sash did to improve the whole look!
Well done.
sandy in the UK

Corina said...

Great job and I think pink looks good on you. I wish it did on me, but I can't pull off shades that bright.

April Rogers-Krick said...

I love it. You did an awesome job. It looks so cute on you.
Craftymomma

Refashion said...

The dress looks so good now, I love the sash. Very cute!

Debbie EOD

Unknown said...

Loving the refashion. Just removed the images that were not yours as per our guidelines.

Thanks,

Eddie, Editor

Unknown said...

Cute!