Monday, November 11, 2013

Taking in with a zipper

I've seen and pinned a beautiful winter white coat on Pinterest that has a zipper up the back...now, I imagine this zipper is for the purpose of adding interest, edge, whatever by the designer, but I decided this was exactly the idea I needed to take in a thrifted sweater that hung a few inches too loose on me.


 I took a salvaged black zipper, decided how much I'd need to take the sweater in so that it wasn't falling off of my shoulders, and pinned it in place. Then I machine stitched it in place! Because I won't be unzipping this, I simply sewed through both layers of the sweater at the top when inserting it. Here's how it came out!


This last shot shows how I'd wear it belted outside of the house...but not with my yoga capris ;) I'd definitely throw this on with jeans and riding boots. It's warm and cozy, just the way I like my clothes in this chilly fall weather. Now, instead of relegating this to a solely "at-home" piece, I can wear this sweater out and about without feeling like it'll fall right off. Always a good thing when clothing stays put ;)

Off to muddle through a pile of my son's clothes that need upsizing...he has some thrifted things that he grew out of quickly and is sad now that they are too small. But he knows that mama can fix that! Love that it's finally rubbing off on him ;)

Peace,
Andrea

LittleDidYouKnow

7 comments:

Refashion said...

Oh, what a good idea and so simple too!
Debbie EOD

Sandy said...

This is a great idea! Looks like zips could be used in similar ways on other parts of garments.
Sandy in the UK

April Rogers-Krick said...

Love it. A perfect idea. Love that your son is getting into refashioning. Mine is too and at 9 it can be hard to geg them to wear something you make. I have a whole boys refashion series planned. Do maybe that will help too. Again love the sweater.
Craftymomma

Carissa said...

I love it! And now I'm trying to think if I have any oversized cardigans in my closet I could do this with.

Andrea said...

Thanks all! I'd love to check out your series, Craftymomma...sounds like I could gather up some inspiration :)

Unknown said...

Love it! Very creative. And cozy too.

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

concretenprimroses said...

Brilliant!
Kathy