Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, December 22, 2013

10 minute project: men's shirt into infinity scarf

My mom gave me this men's Toronto Raptors shirt that she somehow acquired. She thought I could make something cool from it.

I liked the small houndstooth pattern on it and thought it well suited for a scarf. I have a fair number of scarves, but no infinity scarves. It seemed like the time to make one. I started by chopping the shirt in two pieces, cutting across the chest just under the armpits. I made this bottom piece into a large rectangle by trimming off the very bottom curved hem of the shirt as well.

With the buttons open, I folded the rectangle in half, right sides together, to make a long, skinny rectangle. 

I stitched along the raw edges, leaving a seam allowance of about half an inch. I turned the tube right side out and topstitched along the same edge. The whole process took about 10 minutes.

I twisted the ends a few times, then buttoned it up to make it an infinity scarf. It was just long enough to loop around my next twice. For an accent, I added a watch band I got for a dollar at the thrift shop.

Of course, I can also wear it as a regular scarf, if I want. I love having options!

The only problem with the scarf is that the material is a little too stiff to drape nicely. If I made another one of these, I would use a softer/thinner fabric. 

Thanks for reading. Happy holidays!    -Amy


Carissa said...

I *adore* the watch band detail! What a fabulous idea! The whole thing is totally fab, but that little detail kicks it up a notch.


├ůsa.Li said...

Wonderful beutiful ide!

cucicucicoo: ecological living said...

Cool and funky idea! :) Lisa

Keturah Rogers said...

I am looking for a way to take my hubby's shirt and turn it into a pocketed scarf to hide my passport in for our trip to Paris. I am taking a soft button down shirt that has the perfect zip pocket. Its an ugly orange tho I think yours is gorgeous. The stiff fabric is actually a good thing if you want to install a hiding place. You can't do that with t-shirt fabric. Although a little pocket for cash or bank card could be a good idea! I'm going to get working on mine with yours to help inspire me. Thanks!