Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Dress for a 1920s New Year's Eve wedding

For New Year's Eve, I was invited to a 1920s-themed wedding. Knowing this a few months in advance, I started trolling thrift stores for something to refashion when they had their Halloween costumes out. I didn't find the perfect, beaded, dropped-waist flapper dress I was looking for, but I did find this for a few bucks.

It was way too tight and young-looking for me in this state, but the trim was perfect. I dug through my stash to find a dress that would work better for my body and age. I found this dress that my sister had passed on to me a while back. It fit well, but was pretty plain.

I carefully removed the whole fringe-and-sequin layer from the first dress, then cut off a strip that was two rows tall. I carefully sewed it to the hem of the second dress, making it about 3/4 of the way around. Using a section from a second strip of trim, I covered the other 1/4 of the hem with trim, overlapping it slightly at the edges to avoid gaps. I thought I might do more to the dress, but I ended up keeping it simple.
Since it was way too cold in Illinois for a strapless dress on New Year's Eve, I styled it with a slightly-glittery, puffed-sleeve t-shirt underneath. Pictures from the event didn't turn out well, but it looked something like this.

The fringe/sequin layer was fun when I was dancing. Some Art Deco rhinestone earrings and a necklace completed the look.

Happy New Year!



Agy Lee said...

I love the additional embellishments! you must have had fun at the party :-)

Jennifer Elliott said...

Love the combination of the two dresses.