Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Dusty Drab Sweater Refashion

Last Friday I visited one of my favorite thrift stores where I picked up three pairs of vintage clip-on earrings and two sort of ugly sweaters for around $4.25. Not bad.

Ugly sweater #1 was an oversized cream cable knit that I'll be working on later, and ugly sweater #2 was actually more boring than ugly.

beforePictured: blah

I started by taking in the arms and the sides about 3/4 of an inch. Then I grabbed some gray yarn from my stash and made a 12 inch braid that I used to cinch the back of the sweater.

2Adjusting the back.

 For the front closures I used the four buttons left over from last November's vest refashion and two 2 inch yarn braids.

3Adding buttons and loops.

And now I have a much less boring sweater!

after copyPictured: un-blah sweater

I think my favorite part of this sweater refashion is that the most dramatic change - the gather in the back - didn't require any sewing. It's a great trick to try if you're wanting to ease yourself into refashioning.

A complete tutorial for this project can be found on my blog. I hope you're all staying warm!

Now blogging at!


diaryofamadmama said...

Great refashion. I love the gathering in the back. Cool trick! :)

Cassandra Louise said...

So clever! I have a very plain-looking jacket in my wardrobe that I never wear and have been meaning to alter but I've been unsure what to do. You've given me some ideas. :-)

Lovenicky said...

Great idea. I love simple and effective refashions like this.

Jennifer Elliott said...

I agree! The quick fix in the back is quite brilliant. thanks for the inspiration.

Elizabeth Hill said...


- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus