Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Old Lady Floral: a Pirate-Shirt Refashion

Hello everyone! I have been so busy with a move to the DC area that I have barely had time to whip out the old sewing machine. That's changing though, as we are getting all settled in here... and we LOVE it!

I found this shirt at the Salvation Army in Georgia a while back. I thought it would actually look good on and of course I did not try it on... but when I did, oh man. It was BAD. What was I thinking? It looked like a pirate shirt, but with flowers! It was just terrible. I knew that parts of it were good, though. So I decided that I would do a little deconstructing.

I took the sleeves off and used the sleeve material to make a tie-around belt! That gives the shirt a little bit more of a shape, instead of looking overly billowy.

I apologize for the lack of before picture... my husband was still deployed when I made this! You can see the entire post here on my blog, Em-provising. :)

Before (on my dress form):

After (on my dress form): 

After, on me! 


Andrea said...

Way to see the potential! I really love the after on this, so flattering, and modern :) Great job! (I'm a particular fan of funky prints and this floral is AWESOME!)

Quick note: in future posts only use your name Em-provising to label your posts. We are changing our system in how we label things a bit, and the # labels are only for one of our editor's use. Thanks so much!

Andrea EOD

Jennifer Elliott said...

Great job! I love the pattern of the shirt and way you transformed it.

Elizabeth Hill said...

Old lady clothes make the best refashions!

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

Cassandra Louise said...

I love what you've done here! Inspires me to look through my own wardrobe. :-)

Clare said...


diaryofamadmama said...

Wow! Love this refashion! Very pretty on you. Great job!