Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

An overall dress from a maxi skirt

My past few refashions have been pretty simple, quick projects. After Christmas, my husband took the kids on a trip for a week, and I wanted to clear out as many items from my refashion pile as possible while they were gone. Recently, though, I had been looking for more of a challenge. I found this too-long maxi skirt by Jones and Co. at a thrift store for a few bucks and fell in love with the soft gray flannel.

Obviously, it wasn't working for me with this length, but I loved the button detail at the waist.

I wasn't sure what to do with it until I saw this super cute overall dress. It was perfect! I started by using a well-fitting skirt on top of the maxi skirt to mark the length, then I cut the top part off with my rotary cutter.

I used my seam-ripper to remove these button facing pieces - they were too cute to be hidden under the flap.

With the buttons removed, I was able to cut the bib for my overalls. The left side here shows how it looked with the raw edge, and the right sides shows how I folded the tab down and then under to create the edges of the bib.

I took in the sides of the skirt, making a nice A-line shape and keeping the original hem. Rather than sew all the way up the sides to the waist, though, I left several inches open at the top on either side. These would form my overlap for the overalls, so I could get them on and off without having to insert a zipper. They also made a sort of pocket in each side. I needed a waistband, so I used the existing back waist band.

I made my own front waistband piece from extra material and sewed the two waistband pieces to the front and the back of the skirt. I also finished the edges of my "pocket" area and sewed on the bib. I made straps from those buttons facings, minus one button each, and some more excess fabric.

Once those were attached, all that remained was a pair of buttonholes at the sides of the waistbands pieces to finish the look. And here it is!

From the back

Close-up with button details.

Now I really can't wait for some warmer weather to wear this piece!

Thanks for reading! 
- Amy


Sandy said...

wow! I wouldn't have thought of that from the long skirt, but it is much more up to date and looks very good!
Sandy in the UK

cfortin said...

What a great improvement!

Cindy - EOD

Elizabeth Hill said...

Very creative!

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

Jennifer Elliott said...

Holy cow! I love it! More importantly, I love the button detail. Great job!