Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Quick fix for a sequined shirt

I found a sparkle-y black shirt at a garage sale this past summer for $1. You can see it below, with the tag still attached. It was very boxy, with huge shoulder pads, but it had potential.

I started by removing the shoulder pads. The sleeve had to go, given the weird cuffs and itchy synthetic material, so I cut them off. I took in the sides a bit, from the underarm to the hem, to make more of an a-line shape. Finally, I finished the armholes with black bias tape to match the edge of the neck. Here's the finished product.

I think it will work well under a blazer or on its own, when it gets warmer.

Thanks for reading!



Adele said...

Brilliant. That looks cute.

Adele - EOD

Jennifer Elliott said...

I LOVE IT! Great decision to remove the shoulder pads and alter the sleeves. I think the top would look great underneath a sweater. Great job.

Jennifer Elliott said...

P.S. Who was the person who thought adding shoulder pads in women's shirt was a fabulous idea?