Monday, February 10, 2014

#RockYourScar T-Shirt Refashion

This week, February 7th - 14th, is Congenital Heart Defect (CHD) Awareness week.  It is special to me because my daughter was born with 2 serious CHD's called Tetralogy of the Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia.  She has survived two heart surgeries and faces more throughout her future.  Each year, those with special hearts celebrate and rally for awareness during this week.  An amazing CHD organization, called Mended Little Heart, is having a #RockYourScar photo contest.

Of course, the crazy crafter wheels in my brain started turning as soon as I read about this photo contest.  I wanted to make my daughter a shirt that would show off her scar, but not be provocative in anyway.  I also didn't want to buy anything new.  It was a perfect opportunity for a refashion.  I found this almost too small heart shirt that had a rip in the collar.  I thought it might be cool to just simply sew a zipper into the center where her scar is, so she could show it off in the picture. 

I put some interfacing on inside of the shirt, then cut down a slit for the zipper.  Pinned it all into place and top stitched over it.  I fixed the hole in the collar, too.





Here is how the shirt came out:


Here's how the photo came out!
I would love it if you would vote for Aubrey!!!
You can vote while you are logged into Facebook here: http://bit.ly/1ggzY3a)


I, of course, couldn't stop at the shirt and I had to make the CHD Awareness Ribbon you see in the background, too.  

CHD.
I use to know nothing about what those three letters stood for, but now I know all to well.
Congenital Heart Defect.

CHD.

What they have come to mean to me is …

Courage.  Hope.  Destiny.

This week we get to celebrate the courage of these heart warriors.
We get to spread hope to those just meeting theirs.
We get to help shape the destiny of these special hearts by spreading awareness, to find a cure.
Thank you for reading!
<3





10 comments:

Andrea said...

So incredibly cool, so incredibly inspiring and (no pun intended) HEARTENING!!! Love this not only for its celebration of warriors who are fighting through CHD but for the ingenuity of the refashion itself. Very very cool. Wow!

Huli said...

How awesome and like Andrea said so very inspiring thanks for sharing :)

Sandy said...

I love how you have made the zip a feature. And like you say, a way to show the scar but not be provocative in anyway.
I hope she does well on the voting.
Sandy in the UK

Chris said...

Very cool! Voted. Good luck!

Claudia said...

What a funny idea. I also have such a "zipper" on my thorax.
Greetings Claudia (Germany)

Adele said...

Such a good idea!

Adele - EOD

Jennifer Elliott said...

What a fantastic idea. The altered shirt looks great!

Unknown said...

This is really cool! Great idea. Rocking a scar on your chest can be tough to do and stay modest, your solution was great.
As an insulin-pump user, I think that adding a zipper to clothing can make working with the medical stuff much easier...

BubblesRides said...

Thank you all for the wonderful comments!! I'm so glad you liked this refashion. It was near and dear to my heart. Rachel, you have a great idea for making it functional, too. I love it!

Anna said...

I have two little daughters. Your post wrung my heart and made me cry and smile.