Saturday, February 15, 2014

Two-Piece Dress

Ok, I'm back to dreaming of spring/summer...Not that our current weather situation in New Jersey inspires much hope of even the possibility of warmer weather! But, I refashion in hopes that it will soon come and all of this will be quickly forgotten (or at least relegated to the dusty corners of my memory).

I bought this dress at a thrift store in Queens 3-4 years ago and wore it maybe 4 times over two of those years. It was pretty fitted, as you can see in the picture, and I was still carrying about 15 pounds of baby weight at this point. Looking back, it doesn't look bad at all, but at the time, I felt self-conscious and therefore, it spent way too much time in my closet and not enough on my body.

Then I went and chopped it in half thinking I'd use the bottom as a skirt. Attached an odd bit from another refash for the waistband, but again wasn't wearing it! I decided to experiment with it and found that putting the two pieces together and then pulling the skirt down to leave some space actually gave me an idea! Time for a quick "fix"!
Please ignore the panty lines for now, will ya? K, thanks :)
I grabbed some elastic making a loop the size of my ribcage and another the size of my waist, then attached each to their respective partner pieces! 

And got down to styling! However I decide to style these two pieces, the options are many and now I feel pretty in both the top and bottom of this set. Here's a look at a few that I came up with:

If you want to see more of the process, pics of how I styled the top and bottom or read a bit about my body image journey, come on over here.

Hope you enjoyed this one and even if you don't go for the cropped look, there are tons of possibilities to break up a dress to be worn, well, as a dress! Just by adding a different skirt to the top or a different top to the skirt :)

Peace,
Andrea

4 comments:

Jennifer Elliott said...

I love that you have options with the dress. If I had abs like yours, I would rock the crop option all the time. Great job!

IWOM said...

Nuthin' better than uber-flexible wardrobe pieces!

(No, really).

IWOM

ChiChi Loves said...

I really like the results. The color and print is solo gorgeous! The cropped look is so on trend and looks like you bought it retail. I also like how you styled them separately.

Andrea said...

Thanks all! Appreciate your lovely comments :)