Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Nerd shirt

I spent the last 5 days in Austin, TX, accompanying my husband, who was there for SXSW Interactive. It was a welcome break from the snow and a chance for some grown-up time away from the kids. It was the perfect time to make myself a nerd shirt, based on this one I saw on Polyvore.

I had this yard sale shirt in my stash. Though it was a bit big and boxy, it had the right sporty vibe.

I started by taking in the sides from the hem all the way up along the underside of the sleeves to make it more fitted. Then I marked where I wanted the bottom hem to fall (the pin in the next shot) and used a white pencil to mark one inch below the high-low hem all the way around. I sewed a zigzag stitch all the way around on this line, then cut the excess off below the stitching.

I folded in one inch from the new finished edge all the way around the shirt, carefully following the curve in the back. I pressed it in place then sewed the hem with two rows of stretch stitches. The final step was a freezer paper stencil of the word NERD on the front, painted with white fabric paint. I modeled it two ways - with and without glasses - for more or less of a nerd effect.

I did get some compliments from fellow nerds attending the conference. It's a fun little shirt.

Thanks for reading!



IWOM said...

Wouldn't a true 'nerd' shirt have a pocket protector…?



Jennifer Elliott said...

I love it! Will you make me one? :) Great job!