I'm really looking forward to the coming summer here in London, I'll (hopefully) be able to ditch the layers and wear some dresses!
I recently fell in love with a picture of a model wearing a grey cotton dress and a Indian print kimono - you can see the image and how I made the copy-cat here....
I had found a Queen sized bedspread in a brilliant little junk shop in Hastings and picked it up as I'd already had this kimono in mind.
|This bedspread was huge!! It was probably King sized but as I've never had the luxury of a King sized bed, I couldn't tell you!!|
I only used half of this gigantic piece of material, which meant the the pattern wouldn't be asymmetrical but I thought I'd just go for it....
After halving the material I folded it again and again so it was an inside out rectangle. I measured elbow to elbow across the shoulders, underarm to the desired length and underarm to elbow. I drew where I wanted to cut (and allowed a bit extra for a seam) and cut.
|This left me with this.|
I cut right down the middle from bottom to top, or top to bottom if you want :) and then a triangle at the top for a v-neckline.
I hemmed everything up only to find that the length was really dowdy (my word for the day....)!! This meant I had to cut off the two floral borders at the bottom (and leaving me having to hem the bottom after all)!
And this is the end result..
|I'm 'pinning' the side with my hand on hip accidentally!|
All in all, considering that it was stiff cotton and not flowing silk, I'm really happy with the kimono and it's fun to wear.
|Thanks for reading!|