Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Saturday, March 01, 2014

XL knit dress to a Versatile Little Red Dress

This XL red ponte knit dress was huge on me but it's a Red Ponte knit!! My favourite colour and my favourite kind of knit!! And it only cost $4.97!

 I used the knit dress in Butterick 5146 as a base, added cap sleeves and changed the neckline slit. I thought the neckline looked a bit bare, so I rummaged through my notions stash and found a faux leather strap and buckle set. I thought it might jazz up the dress a little. So this is how it turned out:

And.... if I want to wear some elaborate jewelry with this dress, I can wear the dress backwards like this:

I'm really happy with this dress - it's red, it's knit, it's travel friendly, it's versatile for work and play and you can wear it backwards for 2 different looks!  I can even layer it with long sleeves tees and leggings for the Fall. It's definitely my favourite Little Red Dress thus far!


Jennifer Elliott said...

I love it for all the same reasons! Red. Knit. Simple. Really beautiful refashion. Great job.

Cassandra Louise said...

How lovely! It looks so good. Very clever, and simple too! :-)

La La Lauren!!! said...

Omg that is fabulous! Nice job!

Helen Le Caplain said...

Ooh wow that's stunning! And how clever to wear it both ways to incorporate statement jewellery. :D

Sandy said...

Love the buckle idea!
Sandy in the UK

amykalbster said...

I love buckles, but I never thought to put one at the neckline like this. i love it!

katboulder said...

Fantastic! Love the color and the buckle - what a great idea! Well done.

Elizabeth Hill said...

I really like how versatile this dress is, and I especially like the buckle detail. Great refashion!

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Elizabeth Hill said...

Also, we're only using our profile names as labels now, so you don't need to include other descriptive words ("dress," "shirt," etc.). I went ahead and fixed it for you this time.

Can't wait to see what you'll do next!

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Lovenicky said...

Thanks Elizabeth. Will remember for next time!