Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Boxy Button-Down to a Blouse with Fun Details!


I would like to introduce myself to all of you lovely Refashion Co-op readers because this is my first project!  My name is Diane and I blog at Vintage Zest where I share many of my different creative outlets, such as sewing, cooking, crafting, travel, and more!

Today's garment is a blouse that I made for the latest challenge for my online Facebook sewing group, Stitch Once, Rip Twice.  Our latest challenge was a Simple Top, and I knew that I had to make something nice and breezy for the 80°F weather we have been having here in Southern California!

Read on for all of the details, including how I turned a huge mishap into a fashionable detail and how this only cost me $1!

Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!

Initially, I searched through my regular fabric stash, but I didn't like any of the fabrics.  Eventually, I headed to my $1 swap meet garment stash and found this blouse with the tags still on it.  Perfect!

Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!
See, there's a little blue tag on the left arm.  Never worn!

I decided to turn the shirt around so the buttons would be in the back, which was just like another refashion I did before joining here.

Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!

This is the final garment!  I love the blouse.  :)

Before, I just wanted a simple top, but I ended up having to make a pocket.  Why?  I actually accidentally cut right through the fabric while taking the blouse apart.  Eek!  Complications!  There was a huge V cut over the left chest, so I needed to add a pocket after I patched it up.  Actually, part of me wants to make the pocket a contrasting black fabric instead, which I may revisit later.

Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!

Another minor detail came about from the small amount of fabric that I had to work with in the underarm area, but it ended up okay!

To see all of the close-ups, click on over to my full post!


Lastly, for the only detailed that I actually planned, I decided to "borrow" the original cuff and the buttons.  This is one of my more favorite parts of the blouse and I did not even have to use my buttonhole foot!

Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!

For more details on the pattern I used and close-ups of the details or to just say hello, click on over to Vintage Zest!

I'm so happy to be here with all of you, and I hope that my first post was a good one.  :)  Thanks for having me!

Lastly, a question for all of you refashionistas: Should I keep the pocket I have or trade it in for a contrasting black fabric?


Sandy said...

Looks good!
On the pocket colour. I suppose it depends on whether you are ample up there or not.
So, for me, if I had to have a pocket, I would go for blending in. But others might like a bit of extra visual weight there.
Sandy in the UK

Andrea said...

Oh, I love the pattern on this blouse! And the sweet detail of the back :) Love it with the pocket as it is, but could see it working in a contrast color as well!

One quick note: When adding labels to your post, we ask that you only use your username Vintage Zest. The other labels are for editors' use only :) Any questions about the posting guidelines, you can click on them at the top of the home page or email any of the editors on duty! Thanks :)

Andrea EOD