I bought this dress in a sale many years ago. It was maxi length, made of linen/silk, and I wore it on a couple of holidays, felt very glamorous. Anyway, during the time it spent at the back of the wardrobe, it shrank (!!)
I opened the side seams in an effort to make it wider, but had to admit defeat and back it went again.
Eventually I decided to cut some of the length off to make inserts for the sides, but that didn't work either.
Finally, I decided on a lace insert, as I have done successfully on a previous refashion.
So, this is the sorry dress with the seams open and the bottom chopped.
I cut a strip of lace, backed it with a strip of the dress fabric from the hem offcut, and inserted it down the sides. Then it looked like this.
Close up of the lace insert.