Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, April 06, 2014

Guy top to girl top

I got this J.Crew vest at the thrift store and loved the feel - it's got a little cashmere in it.  I had thought about incorporating it into a dress, then making it into a tote bag (still think that might have been cute) but decided to make it into a fitted top instead.
I cut off all the ribbing, cut it across the middle, took in the sides, and used the extra pieces from the side to make a ruffled collar.  Then I cut it down the middle, attached some of the ribbing to make a pretend button band, and sewed some buttons on (there are no buttonholes).Then I reattached the bottom, which did not turn out to look as gathered as I thought it would.

I just need to sew it up the middle where it gapes a bit.


Sandy said...

This is a very good result! It looks good on you.
Sandy in the UK

Carissa said...

The hourglass shape is *much* more flattering! And I like the little fake button placket.