Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Lace Cutout Skirt

Hi all :) We've been enjoying lovely weather these past few days and I'm happy to say I've barely done any sewing!!! Too much time spent outdoors :) But, I did manage to tackle a refashion that's been sitting in my stash for several months. I found this lace pencil skirt sometime last year at my local thrift store. Made in the U.S., size Medium, and a poly/rayon blend. The most important thing? LACE! I loved the lace and had to bring it home.

I'd planned to make this simple and just tailor it to fit me better, which I did, but I've been wanting to do a lace cutout refashion for some time and have seen it not only with lace but also mesh/tulle (other see-through fabrics) and had to give it a go. So, I got to cutting...

and taking it in!

And that's it! I achieved the cutout look I desired, which adds a little extra sexy to a fitted lace pencil skirt, without losing the length.

What do you think? Is this a 'trend' that still translates as 'classic' in this piece? To get more details on how I did this, or to check out any of my refashions, hop on over here.

Here's one last look at the before and after:



Gema Ensenat said...

That's gorgeous! I'm working in a lace refashioning now...and I've been too scared to cut it...but this post has spurred me on :) Thanks, and loving your work!!

Andrea said...

Why thank you Gema, your comments always brighten my day :) Hope to see your lace refashion soon!!!

jennifer elliott said...

I love the end result! I love the peek-through lace at the bottom of the skirt. Great job!

jenny_o said...

I think what I love about this is that it's demure AND sexy - a brilliant combination. Looks really nice!

Andrea said...

Why thank you ladies, I agree Jenny_o, demure and sexy...great description ;)

Andrea EOD

Sandy said...

I agree with Jenny. and I do think it is on trend. Amazing how your change really shows up that the original was actually a bit dowdy...even though it had gorgeous lace!
Sandy in the UK

Erinn Merlo-Jackson said...

Love love LOVE! Easy refashion that makes a huge difference in style. Great job!