Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Saturday, May 31, 2014

First (successful) Refashion

I am a newbie refashionista. I have been an avid thrifter for years, but only discovered refashioning in the last year & a half.

This is the first refashion that I did that I felt was worthy of sharing with the world. (The first just didn't look good on me, and the second I forgot to document the "before")

I found this emerald colored dress on a 50¢ clearance rack at my favorite thrift store.

Despite how happy I look to be wearing it, it was a terribly awkward length on me, and all the elastic in the waist & sleeves was shot.

After a visit from my scissors & seam ripper, it's much more wearable. It still has a nice vintage flair to it, without looking like something my grandma would've worn. :)



Boca said...

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Kathryn said...

Congratulation on your first successful re-fashion. You took it from frumpy to fab!

Dee said...

What a fantastic and simple refashion. It really makes a huge difference to the look of the dress. Congrats on your first published refashion.

Elizabeth Hill said...

What a pretty spring (or summer) green! I really like how you opened up the top by nixing the collar and sleeves. It's got a great vintage feel too.

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Andrea said...

Ok, seriously! 50 cents!!! Jealous :( This is my favorite shade of green and you totally rocked it out :) Great changes, while still retaining the vintage it!

Saga said...


Gema Ensenat said...

Love it! You've turned the dress from old to young...if that makes sense? It's just great!! :)

jennifer elliott said...

Welcome! I'm incredibly jealous of your 50 cent find! Very nice. Great job on the refashion.

Nina said...

Super cute!

Bailey Mills said...

Thanks! Everything on the 50¢ rack was pretty much uniformly blech looking in as-is condition, but I got a couple more dresses from it that will make appearances here in the near future. :)

Erica Moody said...

No way. I have that same dress in purple! I just took the pictures so I can list it on Etsy this afternoon. (It's in excellent condition.)
Of course, now I see your refashion and I'm having second thoughts; I should make a dress like yours!
Hey, you're costing me money! :)

thewardrobesurgeon said...

Congratulations on your first successful refashion!