Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Khaki Shirt Dress

In honor of Memorial Day this weekend, I decided to create a military-inspired shirt dress using this free maternity tunic as my starting point. In addition to it being too large, it was also just shy of being long enough to be worn as a regular dress. But it did have pockets!

Khaki Shirt Dress

I removed the sleeves and used that fabric to make a wide waistband. That extended it enough for me to feel comfortable wearing it without leggings. I used the original drawstrings to create button loops. I took in the sides, added some pleats and bust darts, and topped it all off by fashioning decorative shoulder straps from the cinch straps on the original sleeves.

Khaki Shirt Dress

I'm not 100% pleased with the final result, but that's the beauty of refashioning cheap (or even free!) garments: if you're not happy with the final product, it wasn't a big investment in the first place.

For more details and pics, click on over to CarissaKnits!

Khaki Shirt Dress - Before & After

1 comment:

Joke Vermanen said...

I like the idea, the length and the fabric. But I think it's to small at the top. Can't you add some fabric at the sides?