Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Dress to top

I bought this dress at a jumble sale to make my small daughter a dress, she's 33 now, and it 's still waiting.
It's been homemade, with  two pockets in the front seams and nicely finished, but at least 2 sizes too small for me. The back was completely button through using a number of badly matched ugly buttons. On inspection I discovered why it was at the jumble sale, there was a stain on the front that had been removed, but had left a paler patch. I love the fabric, a quality weight cotton with a lovely spriggy print.

The top was so fitted and seamed I just cut it off, and let down the hem. Cut away the buttons and buttonhole bits and sewed up the seam.
Then I removed the large inset pockets from the 2 front seams and stitched up the seams, at the same time taking out the stained panel and restitching it inside out. No one will notice with all that sprigging.
I used an old worn top as a pattern and cut out a back and front, using all the length I had. Joined it at the sides and shoulders, and put a dart in each side to remove some sag at the armholes.
None of the bias binding I had was right, so I made my own by joining strips cut from the pocket pieces.
Finally I made a small hem, and because there was a line where I had let it down, stitched on a row of cotton lace.
I'm really pleased with this top, and rushed to finish it to take on holiday, it's lovely and cool.

The front has a scoop neck, told you you wouldn't notice anything with all that sprigging!


Brittney said...

What a great way to reuse something that has just been sitting there. I wish I had your sewing skills--there are tons of old clothes that I could refashion.


Another Beautiful Thing

Carissa said...

This turned out so cute! I love the addition of the white lace - it's the perfect touch!


vintagevogue said...

I think you hold the record for the longest work-in-progress! Must feel great to get that done:)

Lola Nova said...

That does look better, looks like a nice summery top now :)