Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, June 09, 2014

Mens Shirt to Decorative Pillow

It was my neighbors birthday this past Sunday.  I wanted to make him a little something.  He's always so supportive of my craft.  He also gives me tons of shirts and pants (i.e. material) to work with.  I have made him a couple things in the past with jeans he has given me.  I figured I would work with a shirt of his this time.  This one was pretty well stained, so there wasn't too much I could do with it as far as wearable refashions go.

I had an idea for a way to make use of it.  This idea will also help me make use of this letter pattern I bought a while ago and still haven't used.

(So many good intentions, so little time!)

The fabric needed a little color and design, so I pulled out my new starfish stamp and some orange speedball screen printing ink and set the shirt on some styrofoam to prepare it for stamping.  

Stamping starfish is kinda fun!  I need a little stamping practice, though.  Luckily this project was perfect for practice.  Mistakes pass for an artsy look on a pillow ;).

Looks like K was the lucky first letter to be used in the pack!  I lined the shirt fabric with some white fabric, so it wouldn't be see through.  Here is the finished pillow! 

I think he liked it!  

I have been dying to do these for the kids, too.  
One of these days! 


thewardrobesurgeon said...

That's really cute! What a great idea :)

jennifer elliott said...

Nice job! I love the stamping job.

cfortin said...

I like the addition of the stamping. It is a fun project for a kids room.

Just a reminder that we want to focus on wearable re-fashions on this blog.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab