Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Friday, July 18, 2014

Pantone Projects (no. 3)

I'm in the midst of a few (few - adj. from the refashioner's English for "many" or "oh my goodness so many") other projects, but I thought I'd pick something new (and easy) to get my creative juices flowing. I was gifted this shirt earlier this month, and it fits the bill.

beforeLet's get started!

First, I removed the pockets, and unpicked the side seams. Then I removed the sleeves.

IMG_6942See ya, sleeves!

Which left me with a long rectangle of fabric with a hole for my head and raw edges along the long sides.

shirt layout 1 copyLike this.

I pressed, pinned, and sewed the long edges....

IMG_6943Finish them!

... and then folded the shirt in half "hamburger style," as they said at my elementary school.

shirt layout copyLike so.

Finally, I sewed a straight line from the bottom to about 8 inches from the top, roughly 4 inches from each side. (Along the dashed line in the diagram above.)

And that was it! See? I told you it was easy.

AfterEasy breezy!
I have more photos of the refashioning process on my blog if you're interested. It's pretty simple to do, and you can probably use a similar process to refashion pillow cases, table cloths, skirts, etc. into fun, flowy summer tops. Why not give it a try?

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus
Now blogging at!
What's a Pantone Project? Find out here.
10x10 - 5 image collage - radiant orchid 2


Bailey Mills said...


Andrea said...

Much better :) Love the colors!

Andrea EOD

Elizabeth Hill said...


- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

Nina said...