Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Preparatory Patriotism

With Independence Day coming up this Friday in the USA, I felt like going a little patriotic with some red, white, and blue. I grabbed this navy and white polka dotted skirt at the thrift store last month for $2 because, you know, polka dots.

Navy Polka Dot Top - Before

I removed the waistband and zipper and pressed all the pleats flat. From the huge skirt-tube, I cut out a tank top shape with an extra wide front panel. I sewed the shoulder seams and created new pleats on the front. I opened up slits in the bottom of the side seams, added some bust darts, took in the sides, and used bias strips from the remnants to add a facing to the neck and armholes.

Navy Polka Dot Top - After

Navy Polka Dot Top - After

To complete the red, white, and blue color scheme, I paired my new top with some red earrings, my red glasses, and a pair of red strappy wedges I picked up at Goodwill this weekend for $5. The shorts (also a $5 thrift find) are really a very pale khaki, though they look almost white in these pics.

Visit me at CarissaKnits for details on the whole process.

Navy Polka Dot Top - Before & After


jennifer elliott said...

I love it! Just in time for the fireworks!

Lola Nova said...

Wonderful, you've completely transformed it!

cfortin said...

Great re-fashion Carissa. :-)