Monday, August 18, 2014

Jean Skirt + T = Asian Flair

This refashion began as a thrift store t shirt and jeans skirt with a high back slit. The t shirt was too small for me, but I fell in love with the dragon decal on the back. The jeans skirt fit perfectly, but when I tried it on at the thrift store I didn't notice how large the back opening was. When I got home I realized that I couldn't wear the skirt as it was - most of the back was missing! Since the t shirt was a great color match for the skirt I decided to use the dragon decal from the t to close the back of the skirt. I had to add a seam just above the dragon to have enough length to fill in the entire back opening. The seam looked unattractive, so I hid it with a strip of frayed denim. But the denim strip looked really plain! I decided to cover the strip with Chinese writing. I looked up the word beauty in Chinese on Google Translator and printed the characters on the strip with an indelible magic marker. I sewed the denim strip to the skirt with two buttons which resemble Chinese coins, using embroidery floss in colors from the dragon decal.

4 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

That's so gorgeous! Great job!

April Rogers-Krick said...

I love it. It is so unique and way cuter with the dragon. I see why you wouldn't leave the dragon tee behind. I would have snatched it up too.

jennifer elliott said...

P.S. Just wanted to let you know I posted your picture on the Refashion Co-op Instagram account. :)

Jennifer, EOD

katboulder said...

Aww, thanks ladies! Your positive comments are really encouraging!