Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

SHIRT REFASHION: easy elastic skirt

I bought this polo shirt online for Charlie, but I didn't like the look once I received it in the mail. I had every intention of returning to the local retail store, but my forgetfulness and laziness trumped my good intentions. So, I decided to turn the polo shirt into a simple skirt with an elastic waist.


The process was pretty simple: cut off sleeves and collar and hem the top portion. At first, I wanted to use elastic thread to shir -- or shirr -- the top portion of the skirt. Unfortunately, my mom's sewing machine wasn't too fond of the elastic thread in the bobbin area. I tried to hand sew the elastic thread, but I was frustratingly unsuccessful.


I went to my go-to method -- create a casing and insert piece of elastic. Boom! Another skirt completed! Except I wasn't 100% in love with the new skirt. It needed ... something. So, I created a cute fabric flower and added it to the skirt. Now, I have a new favorite skirt!

For more details, hop over to my blog at and click here for the semi-tutorial.

Jennifer Elliott

1 comment:

mkc said...

This is very clear, helping us to understand your process. This is a great use of the t-shirt. Enjoy the new skirt.
Thank you for sharing with us. Mary at RanchHouse EOD.