Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, September 01, 2014

LBD refashion

I suddenly needed a little black dress for later same day, and didn't have one (not a single one!).
I sacrificed a black top. The refashion went a bit fast, so I forgot to take a picture, but it was one exactly like this one, only black.

I grabbed some chiffon from my stash and made a rectangle that was 1½ times my hip circumference wide and 2 times the length of the desired skirt long.
Sewed it into a tube, folded it double, inserted an elastic between layers, and stitched the elastic to the fabric.
Then I made a sash out of more of the chiffon.
I stitched the skirt to the top and then the sash too.

Done and I ran out the door wearing my new frock (with a black slip underneath. Had I had the time, I would have made a lining). More pictures on the construction of the dress here.

The sash is tied better here (the vest and legwarmers are refashions too, I will blog about them soon).



Clare said...

What a lovely dress. With the chiffon and the lace detail, it looks quite formal. I'd never guess that it had been put together in a hurry. Well done.

concretenprimroses said...

VEry nice and very creative!

Nina said...

Nice job! Everyone needs an LBD ;)

jennifer elliott said...

Wow! Very clever! I love the dress. I would probably wear it every day if I had the chance. :)

Jennifer Elliott, EOD