Monday, September 22, 2014

Plus Size RefashionI

Hi Refashion lovers!  My name is KL and I'm so thrilled to be making my first post ever on this Co-op!  I'm a baby refashioner so I'm just learning the ropes.  I'm thrilled to share my projects with you as I figure this whole thing out!

Jr Size Sundress

Most of the refashion blogs I see include taking larger clothes and  making them smaller.  We'll I'm a plus size girl (size 16) and I need help making clothes bigger (sans the frump).  So the majority of my experimentation is around making small clothes fit in a way that is flattering to my body.

I found this cute (if too small) sundress at goodwill for $3.  It's designed as floor length maxi dress.  (This is good!)  The problem is that the chest portion was so small that I could not fit it over my head to take a "BEFORE" picture.  So, here is the press laid out on my sewing room floor.

Cut off the tiny bits
 Like Michaelangelo with David I removed the parts that didn't fit.  Any part of this dress that was too small had to go!

Even up the rough cut
    I cleaned up my rough cut and did a zigzag stitch on the loose edge.

Stitch the edge so that it doesn't fray


Now I have a cute yellow skirt!  

Or an adorable dress!
Me in my new dress!
That's it!  Sooooo easy!


From tiny dress to perfect plus size just like that!

www.householdhowto.blogspot.com

8 comments:

Andrea said...

First off, I love your choice with the colors and pattern! And WELCOME!!! (that probably should have been first) ;) Great job taking something that didn't work initially and making it work in more than one way! I love this.

jennifer elliott said...

Welcome to the site! And I absolutely love the refashion! I think it looks way better as a skirt and strapless dress. Great job!

Refashion said...

We are really glad to have you as a contributor. The skirt looks great and I like the way you wear it as a dress. Love the pattern on that fabric. :)

Debbie
EOD

Refashion said...

We are really glad to have you as a contributor. The skirt looks great and I like the way you wear it as a dress. Love the pattern on that fabric. :)

Debbie
EOD

selene said...

welcome
I love your dress!

Nina said...

Very cute well done!

GeekyArtsyMommy said...

Those are fantastic colors on you! Well done. And welcome. :)

Feeling Kinda Thirfty said...

Cute! Love the fabric print.