Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Abaya, So Long, and Farewell – Pantone Projects (no. 4)

Ever start a project with high hopes only to find you're really not into it? Well, that's how I feel about the Pantone Projects series. There’s only so much purply-pink I can take. I need some variety! So I'm discontinuing that series in favor of doing whatever I want throughout the fall and winter. Maybe I'll revisit the series again with Pantone's 2015 color. Maybe.
 But before I move on to some fall refashions, I’ll leave you this parting gift – a beautiful embroidered abaya.
Before2 copy
Translation: “Specializing in making Abayas. Made in Jordan.”(Thanks for the translation Facebook friends!)

First things first, off go the shoulder pads and sleeves. Then, I cut off the bottom half of the abaya and hemmed a new edge.
Chop and hem!

Then I altered the top half, refitting the shoulder pad-less shoulders, adding (weird and pointy) darts, and reshaped and finished the arm holes. I also took in the sides under my arms a bit, but I don’t have a photo of that.
3Shaping up!
I wound up with a  bright and breezy beautiful new summer top, and I love it! 
after copyFavorite top of the summer!
I have a little more information about the making of this top on my blog. See you later for some new fall projects!
- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus
Now blogging at!
What's a Pantone Project? Find out here.
10x10 - 5 image collage - radiant orchid 2


Carissa said...

I don't blame you - keeping up with a series can be really challenging! This piece had so much potential though, and it turned out fantastic! I'm glad you stuck it out.


Sticky Genius said...

Way better!! I love it as a shirt!