Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Funky dress into shirt and skirt

I started out with this dress I got for a buck at a rummage sale. I thought it might be long enough, but it wasn't even close. Plus, it just looked too "junior" on me.

It did, however, have this lovely bib detail that I planned to take full advantage of.

I started out by chopping it in half just under the bib. I pinned the skirt and its lining together to keep them at the right lengths, then gathered it and stitched it to a wide elastic band I took from another old skirt that was very snagged.

Some careful seam-ripping removed the bib from the rest of the dress. Originally, I kept the ruffle on it, but I decided it was much better without it - more clean and modern. A grabbed a spare white t-shirt and stitched the bib to it to create a sort of tuxedo t-shirt.

Here is the view from the back.

Styled with a black blazer for a graphic look.

And finally, with that elastic-waist skirt. Yay! 

Thanks for reading!   -Amy


jennifer elliott said...

I love the refashioned shirt with the blazer -- great combo! Nice skirt!

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

Karen Mel. said...

Bravo, Amy! Distinctive and practical!