Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, October 13, 2014

Rejuvenated velvet jacket

Yep, same picture as in yesterdays refashion. The jacket is a refashion too

An old velvet jacket of mine. From back in the early 00s, when "chinese" style was all the rage. 
When I pulled it out from the depths of my closet to refashion it, I remembered that the sleeves had always been to wide and too long. But I used it in the age BSR (Before I Started to Refashion ;-) ), so it never occured to me, that I could do something about it. Funny how you change, huh?

I shortened the sleeves and turned them into permanently upturned sleeves.
I removed all but two buttons.
I folded the mandarine collar down to make lapels, like on a suit jacket. I secured the lapels with a few stiches.
I went through my ribbon stash and found a piece of brown velvet ribbon. I put it on top of the ribbon on the jacket. It both covers the ribbon and gives the jacket/blazer a bit of equine style.


Refashion said...

I like the "new" lapels and sleeves. The jacket looks much better

Debbie EOD

Carissa said...

I like the idea of simply folding down the lapels, especially with the button holes continuing all the way up it. And the ribbon detail - very cute! I have a velvet jacket in my refashion pile also, and now I've got some inspiration. Thanks!


DressUpNotDown said...

What a great save for that jacket!!!!