I plan to make fingerless gloves from the sleeves, but that will have to wait until a later post!. I took the bottom rectangle, put it on my head, and marked where I needed the side seam. Sorry, no picture of that, but it was silly looking, I'll tell you. Then I stitched up the marked line and cut off the excess, which is on the right side of the picture.
I folded the hat part in half the long way and clipped off the top corners, like so.
I opened it back up and stitched along the outside edges of the two points. I experimented on the scraps a bit to find the best stitch to use and ended up just doing a regular straight stitch.
As you can see, I did not round the edges very much with my seams. It made weird corners on the hat that I later had to fix by rounding the seam more as it went from the side of the point to the side of the hat. I pulled open the hat so the front and the back of the area between the points came together, then stitched that down, too, lining up stripes as much as I could.
Once all the corners were properly rounded, I was done.
I can also pull it down more and roll up the hem.
Thanks for reading! - Amy