Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Knit hat from a sweater

A while back, I lost my slouchy knit hat at the arboretum. I looked everywhere for one that I liked as a replacement, but I never found anything good. I have two coats - one dark gray and one red - so I wanted something that went with both. I looked around and found this tutorial, then I found the perfect sweater to use.

I followed the tutorial pretty much as-is, but I skipped the brim piece, because it wasn't necessary. I just used the hem of the sweater as the edge of the hat. The first step was to make a few cuts. the stripes made it easy to do.

I plan to make fingerless gloves from the sleeves, but that will have to wait until a later post!. I took the bottom rectangle, put it on my head, and marked where I needed the side seam. Sorry, no picture of that, but it was silly looking, I'll tell you. Then I stitched up the marked line and cut off the excess, which is on the right side of the picture.

I folded the hat part in half the long way and clipped off the top corners, like so.

I opened it back up and stitched along the outside edges of the two points. I experimented on the scraps a bit to find the best stitch to use and ended up just doing a regular straight stitch.

As you can see, I did not round the edges very much with my seams. It made weird corners on the hat that I later had to fix by rounding the seam more as it went from the side of the point to the side of the hat. I pulled open the hat so the front and the back of the area between the points came together, then stitched that down, too, lining up stripes as much as I could.

Once all the corners were properly rounded, I was done.

I can also pull it down more and roll up the hem. 

Thanks for reading! - Amy


jennifer elliott said...

Great job! I love finding or creating accessories that can match more than one outfit or jacket.

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

KL said...

So smart! I LOVE this idea!

jenny_o said...

What a great idea; it turned out really well. I'll be trying this!

Amy Jo said...

That looks fantastic! Good Job!