Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Six Ways to Resize a T-Shirt

Hi all!

I'm running a little series on my blog this week on various T-shirt reconstruction techniques. Today I posted about resizing the t-shirts themselves. All of the t-shirts shown below just show the resizing techniques - more is done to each of them by the end, but I think these all look really cool as they are in this stage too!

The first one is resized by taking in the sides and the sleeves with one seam:

The second one is resized by removing the sleeves, then resizing the width as well as the armholes:

This one is a no-sew option where you cut straight down the sides of the t-shirt and cut tabs into it...then tie the tabs together!

This one doesn't actually resize the torso of the shirt, but rather attaches a fitted waistband to the bottom with some fun pleating to create sort of a drop-waist tee look:

For this one, after taking in the sides using the second method above, I lengthened it by adding a contrasting panel to the middle:

Finally, I made a simple tube top (which I never wear normally but wanted to include it for those who like those!):

Full tutorials for each of these methods is on my blog post from today.

I'm really proud of what I did with this series - I'll post highlights from tomorrow's post when it goes up. That one is going to talk about necklines!

Hope you enjoy!


1 comment:

cfortin said...

I really like your idea to put a fitted band on the bottom. I love to work with t-shirts myself so I might have to give that one a try myself.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab