Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sweatshirt Update

I've had this sweatshirt since the 90s.  This was back when sweatshirts were heavy, huge, and pullover.  I couldn't do much about the heavy part, but I could change the huge and pullover.
I had a fleece jacket that was made out of sweatshirt fleece rather than the spun polyester fleece, so I used that as a guide.  I pieced together the collar from scraps cut off (it's in 6 pieces, 3 on the outer collar and 3 on the under).  I also had to insert scraps in the sleeve cuffs and hip cuffs, because they were too tight and that's what gives it that outdated, baggy effect.  Surprisingly, the fabric store had a 22" separating zipper in hunter green.  I'm also considering using Rit Color Remover to lighten it a little.  Has anybody ever used it?

I have a few more college sweatshirts lurking at the bottom of drawers that I will probably try this with. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great practical transformation! I think I have a few of my own sweatshirts that need a similar change to this.

Annikins said...

Totally updated the look, fantastic, and I bet its warm

Rennie said...

Looks like a new ladies top now love your refashions! I like the colour as it is. I find that bleaching ruins the finish of clothes a little, more bobbled.

jennifer elliott said...

I've been meaning to add a zipper to Angry Birds hoodie I have -- your zippered sweatshirt looks fabulous! I love it. Great job!

Carissa said...

I've got a couple sweatshirts I should give this treatment as well. I hope mine turn out as nicely as yours did!

-Carissa

cfort82 said...

Your new sweat shirt looks great.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

jenny_o said...

Great update - you really changed the whole look!

Joke Vermanen said...

Thanks for inspiring me!
My husband gave me a sweatshirt that didn't fit over his belly lol
But I don't like the look of a bulky sweatshirt and I'd love a vest!

Susan Chapek said...

Love the transformation--especially the idea of loosening the cuffs. That does update the look!

Rit Color Remover gives unpredictable results--you might end up with a grayish yellow. You should test a bit of it (a very weak solution!) on your scraps, if you saved them.

Also, if you've been washing this sweatshirt in cool water, using the hot water required by the Rit product might shrink or roughen the fabric.

Amy Jo said...

Great update to an old favorite!