Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Friday, March 13, 2015

Big dress to flirty skirt

This skirt started as a very large, long, voluminous sun dress. I found it at a thrift store outlet that charges by the pound, so I literally paid pennies for this. I removed the tube top portion and cut down the bottom into strips and sewed those strips to make a maxi skirt and added fold over elastic to the waist (picture on the left). My original vision didn't come to fruition, so I got a little frustrated and shoved it in the bottom of my to do pile. So a year later I came across the fiasco again and decided to give it another go. I cut the length into a high-low and then ruffled the extra length I cut off and added it to the bottom. No tutorial, as it took me a year to actually figure out what I wanted to do, but I love the way it turned out!


Andrea said...

Good job not letting it go to waste! I always have projects like this that just need to 'rest' in my pile for a while before the true form comes out ;) Thanks for sharing with us!

Andrea EOD

jennifer elliott said...

I love the ruffle at the bottom.