NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Saturday, April 11, 2015

A Fruity Refashion

I picked up this 2 piece number because of the fun fruit pattern!

Oh I know it's a hot look for me! 
I brought it home and upon further inspection I noticed something pretty cool... 
 Exibit A: The use of pinking sheers! Someone had made this outfit!
So let's refashion this refashion!
Let the biggest let down of my refashions begin! 1st I tried making the jacket into a crop jacket to wear with a solid t-shirt or tank top. Yep no matter how I pinned and sewed it kept turning out like a crooked blob. It was cropped alright but I wasn't wearing that frankenstein of a creation in public...into the scrap pile for you!
Next, I started on the dress portion. Originally I thought it would make a cute and fun summer dress. Buuut already being frustrated with the refashion I decided making it a flowy tank top would look better!
And here comes more frustration and rage! I shortened it, took it in on each side, nope still to big. So I took it in on the back...nope it turned out just awful! 
Sadly this refashion was just not going my way!
3 attempt is a charm? I hope...
New idea! About the only thing I can salvage from this project was the original neckline piece. So I began removing that from the dress. 
 Picking and picking...
  Progress!
I had to sew the bottom together since the fabric had been folded over to make the neckline. 
 Moving forward...looking good so far!
I wanted to attach this to a solid black t-shirt. To do this I removed the sleeves. 
 Buh-bye!
  Sewing the sleeve holes. Of course the fabric stretched while doing this so I had to go back and dart them so they weren't gaping arm holes.
  Pinned onto my t-shirt!
  Sewing on some buttons!
Finally this headache of a refashion is done!
  
Happy Refashioning!
Check out more of my refashions on my blog:

10 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

Nice to know I'm not alone when a refashion doesn't turn out as planned. Grrrr. Nice job on powering through and finding a refashion solution!

jenny_o said...

I think you ended up with just the right amount of that print - not too overpowering.

Marisa Glied said...

I agree! It is just enough fruity pattern.

Marisa Glied said...

Nope definitely not alone! It is so frustrating tho! But walking away for a day really helped!

RenataLaura said...

I have found that sewing from pattern is easier than refashioning as it's literally cut around and sew together! When it comes to a lot of fabric, like one of these muumuu dresses! (zips and buttons are the difficult part)

Elizabeth Hill said...

I have many, many (oh, so very many) projects that wound up in my "bag of failure." I'm glad you kept at it though! The final product is pretty darn cute!

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Amy Jo said...

Great way to salvage a bit of that fun fabric!

Marisa Glied said...

Trying to turn this one around with that amount of fabric proved to be very difficult. I'd love to try a pattern sometime soon!

Marisa Glied said...

Thank you! I'm happy not all of it ended up in the bag of failure but for a little while I wasn't too confident!

Marisa Glied said...

Thanks! I guess it worked out, a smaller size of the dress may have been too much of that pattern. Happy accident!