NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Friday, April 03, 2015

Flowery Hi-Low Skirt

For this quick, but slightly challenging (at least for my skills) refashion, I took this gauzy calf-length skirt and made it shorter in the front, for something with a little more shape and swing.

I love the print, but as it was the waist band wasn't very flattering.

I didn't think I'd be able to recreate a nice hem on this material, so instead I chopped material from the top, starting by sewing a diagonal seam across the width, making one side shorter. Since I sewed before cutting, I kept the liner and the skirt attached, so I didn't need to make any adjustments to the liner.
I had so much trouble trying to draw a line on this skirt, I finally settled for masking tape. 
After making a big chop, I used a zigzag stitch to make an overlock-type stitch to deal with the raw edges. Then I attached a wide piece of black elastic to create a new waist band.

Much better! Now to find more shirts to wear with it other than my go-to black and whites.


I love my new skirt and it'll be perfect for the unusually summery weather we've been experiencing lately in the Pacific Northwest.  I am also really pleased to say that my haphazard way of creating the hi-low hem (or is it high-low?) actually worked out, so you can look forward to more hi-low refashions in the future.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

therefashstash said...

Super cute!

jennifer elliott said...

Great job! I've been meaning to try a high-low hem -- your skirt looks fabulous. Love it.

jenny_o said...

I'd NEVER have thought of changing the waist instead of the hem - this is great thinking-outside-the-box! It turned out so nicely and looks great on you.

AngieHandmade said...

Very clever idea to cut from the top.

RanchHouse said...

I would have never thought to cut from the top. Great save on the hem. Looks so cute on you. Enjoy.
Mary @ RanchHouse

Andrea said...

I agree, great way to work around the hem (which really can be tricky when done the other way around) and I think now I'll have to try this with my next skirt remake! And I love a good floral, so you had me from the start ;)

Andrea EOD